Thursday, May 15, 2008

Still Life with Glass

A few months back, I posted this inspiration board from Snippet and Ink. It was an idea for a "scientific wedding," which has been my running theme. I've also written before about how glass is important to this theme, that a life in biology at least is a life spent peering through glass. I particularly like the idea of single blooms of
different varieties grouped together, like these below (I forgot where I found these photos - if they're yours, let me know):





I like the above picture because of the dahlias. I'm wondering if that will be my theme?



The picture above is from a GORGEOUS wedding that I have held off posting about. The florals are exactly in line with what I had envisioned, although I wander if this is kind of a fad?

Just before New Years CB2 began selling these neat vases, and I dragged my mother and Tom to Soho to see them in person. I was a bit flummoxed about what to do with them. The price point was nice, but the glass felt thin. I loved how "scientific" they were though, and was disappointed I could not come up with a vision of how to use them. Well, The New York Times, the paper of my father's record, published an article today about simple arrangements one can do for cocktail parties. And wouldn't you know it, they used the CB2 vases. I'm very excited by these photos because they tie a lot in. I am very disappointed by these photos because if the NYT is reporting them, they're a fad that's already 8 months too old.




I really like this idea, because the vase was a favorite of mine. I once considered using it as a favor for the guests. The problem with this vase is that it is actually rather small. The floral designer in the article, DeJuan Stroud, suggested grouping several of these on a mirror. I think this would look awesome with these circular mirrors, with votives interspersed throughout.



I'm not sure I like this one, but what I was getting at here was how the CB2 vase echoes the humble Ehrlenmeyer flask. A few of those babies from a science supply store, and voila!



This is by far my favorite, because of the orange. The vase gets at the whole test tube thing...

I like this concept because it seems relatively affordable, and do-it-yourself friendly, although I don't think it's a good idea to be arranging flowers on the big day itself. Also, the theme could lend itself to a range of venues - from the Asia Society, to the Westside Loft, to the Metropolitan Building - as long as the tone was romantic and lush (like the inspiration board above), and not "clinical."

All photos courtesy of the NYT.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Trend, schmend...if it's nice, do it, and who cares who was the first. I think they're awesome, and not just because I'm your groupie.

Gary said...

Anna:
We love the color choices you have made! Now, let's get back to studying for your boards.....
Lynne & Gary