
I like this board because it references the fall without referencing the cliches.
One component I've been dreading the most is music. It can really make or break a party. On one extreme, I've been to weddings with AMAZING roadhouse bands, where the guests couldn't stop dancing. As great as the music selection was (heavy on sixties and seventies rock and roll), I didn't get a sense for the bride and groom - just their parents. On the other extreme, I've been to weddings with such tasteful jazz trios that I felt I was taking a warm bath and a snooze rather than attending a wedding. Weddings should be party, and there should be some element of raunch to the affair. Yet, Tom and I know very few single, young people (we're the last of his friends to get married, and I'm not sure how many of my friends will come), so dancing may be limited.

We're going to speak with a DJ in New York next weekend (since I'll be down because Ava! Turns! Two!). His name is DJ Gaza (pronounced "Giz-eh"), and he comes highly recommended by the more alternative venues we've visited. Furthermore, he is super budget-friendly, ridiculously responsive via email, and appears to have a streak of the wedding planner in him. I am so thrilled to meet him. I think I've settled on a style: Morcheeba, spacey music for the cocktail hour, followed by a mix of sixties and seventies rock and roll (because really, you can't beat it) interspersed with "old school"/"alternative"/"East Coast" hip hop (the aim being less about rapping, and more about funky back beats). I hope DJ Gaza can understand my vision, but that's why you hire professionals, right? For the actual ceremony, it would be my dream to walk down to a duet my college roommates used to perform - I can't remember the name, but it's like "lacrimosa" or something. (In this case, my lacrimations are joy...) Alternatively, I love the harp or the clarinet...Julliard should have some student musicians for hire, or I could recess to Tom's Old 97's proposal song. It would be cute if we recessed to something like "Two of Us" from the Beatles (technically "our song"), or "Wouldn't it be Nice?" by the Beach Boys (whom I normally hate). Any suggestions, send them my way...
2 comments:
Dude, so I have had this Peter, Paul and Mary song stuck in my head (that is completely cheesy and even very slightly Jesus-y) whenever I think about your wedding. It's called "Wedding Song," and it's super cheese. But I love it.
Anna, I think there must be better examples of vintage gowns than these, please?
Post a Comment