Monday, December 15, 2008

Anxious Cookies

I hosted some friends for a cookie party yesterday. I made gingerbread and an orange-tinged butter cookie. I had intended for this party to replace last year's Valentine's Day champagne and cupcakes party. I think I'll go back to the cupcake party next year - Christmas cookies are so much work! You're a saint, Mom.


I had some friends over on Friday night (Intercontinental Wedding and Lady Perfection), and we watched "Love, Actually" and made the snow garlands. They're pretty neat - I think the above blurry picture is actually a good representation.




Decorating cookies is tough business! I actually got competitive with a friend's boyfriend (we'll call him The Actor). He was so talented - the last picture is a plate of only some of the cookies he made. We made way more cookies than can be seen in the first picture, and obviously we ate a lot of them. (I have no idea why Blogger washes out my photos...)


I've been crafting up a storm lately since we're on a basic science ("basic vacation") block. Still haven't gotten around to taking pictures of my knitting projects, but I managed to whip up an iPod cover in 15 minutes last week with a small scrap of fabric I picked up. I haven't hand-sewn anything since, like, the third grade. (Or was it second?)

Must. Get. On. The. Holiday. Cards.

But who am I kidding? I'm a 3rd year medical student, I can plead "too busy." Which got me thinking...I'm on pediatrics next block, my true love in all of the kingdom of medicine. (I know, I know, so cliche. Find me a woman who does not like kids.) The pressure's on big time for this one, because I need the elusive Honors to secure the perfect Residency. Which got me thinking...After this rotation, it's all down hill. I mean baby-catching (read: obstetrics) will be interesting and (hopefully) uplifting, but then there's the sheer toil and drudgery and politics of internal medicine. And then my year is done. Whoa. There's still a whole 'nother fourth year to get through, but let's be serious, fourth year is an extended vacation. Which got me thinking...I'm almost done with my training as a student. In a short 17 months, I will be a certifiable MD. Actually prescribing drugs. (Really, really, really, really scary thought.) I've never been more afraid of growing up in my life. Is there life beyond the brass ring?

2 comments:

Gary said...

Yes, ther IS life after the brass ring! Take it, and run with it. So proud of Y O U. You deserve it......

Unknown said...

I love Love, Actually. I just wanted to make that public knowledge...