Monday, June 09, 2008

I was assigned to colorectal surgery today for my surgery rotation. I'm a bit squeamish about the lower abdomen as there is just so much that lives there - and it's bloody. I'm also a bit sad because I had my heart set on the trauma service for the unfortunate reasons that summertime is the busiest time of year for trauma and I was really curious about extremity (read: limb) injuries, and the noble reason that I would be very busy and get to work hard. I guess there are three bright sides to colorectal surgery: 1) I'm stationed at the hospital I wanted (and can literally roll out of bed and onto the floor for my 5 AM call time), 2) I'll be working with a female surgeon, and 3) I've worked really hard on studying GI this past month, so I might be able to survive the pimping.

I really love studying where I am right now, and feel like I'm in my element. There's nothing like a little competition with the best and the brightest students to motivate you. The disorders that are emphasized on the USMLE are really weird - a heavy mix of Burkitt's Lymphoma and megaloblastic anemias. I'm not sure if this is because these things are easy to test or if they're common (likely not, as Burkitt's is predominately found in Africa). I can't wait to get on the floors - let me loose! - to see what "real" medicine looks like.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ewwwww. Surgery.

Just sayin'.