Thursday, June 12, 2008

Centerpiece Ideas (Pt. 1...of Many)

One of the best things about Tom's room is his vintage BMW posters:


I'm not sure if this is the true or my made-up history, but it seems that Tom really enjoys a certain type of graphic illustration design. I think it's pretty sophisticated taste, and I've come to enjoy finding examples of this type of illustration in the world.

On my first full day back in New York, Tom and I stopped by the grocery store for luxury salad. I was vaguely aware that San Pellegrino had changed the labeling on their aranciata and limonata sodas, so when I saw them, I just had to buy them. The sodas are (obviously) delicious, and it just so happens they fit our "pretend" wedding colors. I think serving these sodas (available here) at the wedding would be awesome for two reasons: 1) they're a little bit of influence from Tom (actually, the whole wedding is shaping up to be Tom's taste, which he enjoys pointing out), and 2) they're a subtle way of continuing our color scheme (i.e. "branding" our wedding). (PS. I think I am beginning to "fetishize" my own wedding. Hmm...)


I decided to post about these soda cans after spying some canned tomato in the window of another luxury salad-purveyor. They reminded me of a great little piece on Epicurious about easy, DIY spring centerpieces.


Which further reminded me of my favorite centerpiece idea from Martha:


Seeing this picture the first time set off a frantic amount of eBay searching, looking for just the right vintage tea tins to recreate the look. What a horrible waste of time. (To read more about the crazy things brides do, check out this hilarious piece on The Groom's Truth about the search for the perfect candy bar jar.) Nothing seemed right - too big, too small, too expensive - until Something Old, Something New solved the riddle. These exact tins are available at Pearl River Mart right here in my fair city for not a lot of money. Of course, this idea is venue-dependent (almost there, promise!), but in the right space and for the right event (shower, rehearsal dinner, impromptu dinner party), they'd be divine. Now, what to do with all that tea? Tea party, anyone?

No comments: