Thursday, February 07, 2008

Little details, how I love thee

Resurrecting this blog has been a good thing in the hours of enjoyment I am getting from putting the images together. Back in the days when photographs were still made with 35mm film, I noticed that my photography friends and I split over which component we liked the best: shooting the film or developing the prints. Okay, so there wasn’t a split, there was just me in my love for the darkroom. I could, and would, spend HOURS in the red light and fumes, rocking out to the radio, watching the chemicals work their magic. I’ve always gravitated towards detailed work (but, as Tom will tell you, only when my “patient” hat is on!), and so the printing process and the post-production graphics work was such a joy because there were endless possibilities to perfect things.

This blog is no different. I won’t even explain how long it took me to make my simple“Doctor Whimsy” banner, and how I couldn’t sleep last night for the pride I felt in the final product. I suspect that my sense of accomplishment comes from being self-taught in life – in photography, in science, in medicine, in origami…If you try hard enough, you will get it. And that’s where my obsession with designing and printing the wedding invitations comes in. It’s a bit premature to be designing the invite before a hard-and-fast date or location has been set. But if I prep early enough, I just might be able to pull it off!

My goal will be to post two to three times a week so that I learn at least a little cardiology this semester! In the meantime, here are some pictures of centerpieces I’m chewing on. I would really like to incorporate “science” into our wedding, but that’s a tall order. Google search “science wedding” and you get Trekies and earnest looking Medieval-styled physics graduate students. One idea that I hit on is terrariums, which, unfortunately seem to be all the rage these days, both in wedding and interior design. How to have an original wedding when your trends are two years old?



Love the bride and groom! I once found dollhouse microscopes and wondered about incorporating them into my terrariums, especially since Tom's Dad collects old microscopes and I love miniatures.


This one comes from a very famous, chic wedding designer named Preston Bailey. It would work nicely with my love for baking, and would be affordable with fresh flowers from the Flower District the day of.


This post comes from Bluelines, the new blog for the recently-deceased Martha magazine, Blueprints. It really is true that you should read interior design magazines/sites for inspiration since the wedding industry tends to lag 2-3 years behind (at least in terms of color schemes). Thanks for the Dwell subscription, Mom! I love the rounded shape of the container on the left.


And finally, I thought this might work as an alternative. Test tubes are very affordable from science supply shops, and I love the idea of rows of single blooms coursing down a long table. More on that later!

1 comment:

Lynne & Gary said...

Anna:
Tom just called and gave us your web site. It is amazing and very creative. It explodes with your ideas and thoughts. Not only are you going to be a Dr., but you are talented and very original as well. Tom is one lucky guy,and we are blessed to have you join our family! You put smiles on our faces. Hugs from Lynne & Gary