Monday, February 11, 2008

Champagne and Cupcakes



It's February, and I still have not held an official housewarming party. I cooked up the idea of a "Champagne and Cupcakes" party for Valentine's Day to correct my negligence and because: 1) I love to bake and 2) I love champagne (thanks for that, Dad). I have this thing about Valentine's Day...The idea of a day devoted to love has captivated me since I was very little - but not the romantic type of love, just a day in which you unabashedly tell those around you that you love them because, why not? You do. I love you all.

I invited some friends from medical school and have been pleasantly surprised by the anticipated turn-out. I spent the weekend making my Martha Stewart pom-poms (thanks, Lynne and Gary!) and I hung three over the kitchen table. I bought cheap Asti, Cava, and Prosecco as stand-ins for the real stuff. I plan on making red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese frosting and chocolate-dipped orange heart cookies. (I'll post the recipes - with attributions - later.) To finish, I'll scatter red candy in dishes throughout my apartment and play "Say Anything" on DVD in the background. I go back and forth on the whole make-your-own-Valentine bit. Any suggestions?

1 comment:

Jonina said...

Better yet why not have the names of famous couples and pin them to the backs of your guests and they have to try and identify their pair. You know the Carolyn game.